Sunday, August 11, 2013

Some Pain....Much Gain

Yesterday and today I had severe pain in my lower back.  I have had bone and joint pain before but this was something else.  We worked thru several pain meds without much luck but I did get some relief during the night and again this afternoon  - both times after receiving platelets.  They think maybe the Benadryl helped.  The good news is that everyone thinks the pain is from the engraftment process of George's stem cells kicking into gear.  And it appears they are right because in just 1-1/2 days my white blood cells jumped from 0.2 to 1.3 to 3.4 this evening!  And my platelets went from 10 to 20 to 101!!  Woo hoo!  They are starting to use the "D" word - discharge.  Maybe later this week.  But I will continue to be patient.  George has given me the charge to commit to a "Year of Boring" in order to not waste this opportunity by taking any unnecessary risks.  So that has become my mindset and I will not push to get out of this joint any sooner than the docs are ready.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Great news with the counts rising. Thanks, Ruth, for bringing Chris up on Sunday. He is the best diversion for long hospital stays. We are researching places to stay post hospital in the Richmond area. We're praying for the right fit for a benign post transplant course.

George said...

Bwah ha ha. You didn't think I was going to give you the stem cells without teasing you a bit, did you? I have to get my pound of flesh (blood?) back for helping you out!

Seriously, though, I'm glad the medical team are putting a positive spin on it.

George A