Monday, August 5, 2013

Gertrude ver4.0

Things are picking up a little for me.  I haven't spiked a fever in two nights and my nausea is getting better.  I ate enough today to avoid going on IV nutrition.  Not sure why the thought of that bothers me, but it just seems unnatural.  It must be better to get calories from Oreos, and not a bag of goo.

So today's post is dedicated to my new friend - Gertrude version 4.0.  The other day my pole almost tipped over because it only had four "feet".  So I asked if it could be upgraded to one with five or more feet.  This was also a big deal for mom - Nurse Safety Police - who couldn't stand that I had a "four-footed" IV pole.  They wheeled out a new pole.  It has six feet - safety issue addressed.  But it is also a mammoth of a IV pole.  This baby has double uprights and a crossbar, plus it's own little caddy tray.  It should have an oversized load permit to roll down the halls, and it seriously takes up half the floor space in the bathroom.  On the bright side, I have more room to hang my "bling" and I am considering the possibility of selling advertising space on the uprights.  Gatorade should be interested.

Other news - it has been a nice few days with company helping make the time pass.  Brant and the kids were here Friday. Dad and my sister Ruth came yesterday.  And today my Uncle and Aunt from Florida visited along with my brother.  Everyone (including mom!!) headed home to Portsmouth tonight to spend a little time together before George has to leave for Australia.  I am so happy mom is ok to leave me for a day or two.  The nurses here are really great and I can survive.  But it is certainly nice that I don't have to do it very much. 

2 comments:

Davina Park said...

I'm impressed with Gertie v4! Shame it doesn't talk, dance, and play a game of cards, but then, I guess that's with the iPad is for :-) I caught a glimpse of the visitors as I briefly face timed with George in the hospital corridor today. They were all lucky enough to get to see me in my PJ's and dressing gown sitting up in bed! Needless to say I felt more than a bit underdressed for the impromptu social occasion! I'm guessing that you'll get another visit with George before he heads home... we will be VERY happy to have him back, although he's going to miss being with you and your folks, that's for sure!

OK - it's lunch time here... no oreos for me, unfortunately I have no excuse to not have the tuna salad with lemon dressing.... xxx

Gathering Me said...

Pretty impressive IV pole! I hope it is not creating an atmosphere of envy among the other residents!

Pretty sure that Oreos are very nutritious. I am surprised that the nurses have not added other healthy items like cheetos etc...

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of this journey. You are inspiring. I know God is working in and around you each day.
Julie Shiroma