Thursday, August 15, 2013

Discharged!!

As predicted, the doctors released me yesterday on Day +14.  Of course, I didn't go very far, just about 8 blocks down the street to the Hospitality House.  It worked out great that my dad was up to attend the Caregiver Class with my mom that morning, and he was able to get me moved over and settled that afternoon.  Mom said the Caregiver Class will scare you about everything you have to do to avoid infections/complications.  But it was good information.

We are settled into our new room.  It isn't much bigger than the hospital room, but at least I can get out and about.  A mask must always be on when I am outside my room or the clinic, so I feel somewhat like a candy store robber when I wear my pink hat and hoodie combo along with the mask.  We may look for a little larger place to hang out in Richmond as time goes on, but since I have to be at clinic everyday right now, this place seems the most convenient.

The first 100 days for a transplant patient are most critical.  I am very nervous about what can happen, especially graft vs host disease (GVHD).  I already have a little of it with a rash on my palms and soles of my feet.  This is apparently pretty typical and they just want me to put steroid cream on the area.  I try to remind myself that they want to see some GVHD and it doesn't mean I will progress into the scarier stuff. 

My stomach is a little better today but my mouth and tastebuds are still gone.  I did enjoy some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes tonight.  They were super well scrubbed by mom.  I am not even allowed to handle fresh fruit or vegetables until they have been washed.  Like I said, the restrictions to avoid infection are a bit extreme.....

I leave you with the Top 5 for being out of the hospital:

5.  No vital signs at midnight and 4am
4.  Showers without Gertrude the IV pole
3.  Walking without Gertrude the IV pole
2.  Don't have to measure input and output (you will know what this is if you have had to do it!!!)
1.  No More Hospital Food


2 comments:

kandi said...

Free at last (well semi-free)! I know you've got a long way to go, but just think how far you have come. Gotta love your mom - or you'd have no one to joke on !!! She's the best. love ya kandi

George said...

Great to hear that you're out Rachel. I bet they are keeping you close so Gertrude doesn't get lonely. :-)

Enjoy.