Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day 8 - Doing Well

I wouldn't say that the days are flying by, but it is a lot nicer to see Day +8 on my whiteboard instead of Day +1.  Plus, I am feeling much better so I can endure the time easier.  My blood counts have continued to drop as expected from the chemo treatments I received.  I haven't had any white blood cells since Day 1, but now the platelets and red blood cells are pretty much gone, too,  so I have blood and platelet transfusions often.  Since I have reacted to the platelets with hives, I get a lovely dose of Benadryl and steroids before each transfusion.  I do not like the doped up drowsy feeling, but I guess it beats being covered in itchy welts!  I hope that my new stem cells are busy at work and we will see a glimmer of new life here in the next few days.

My heart rate has dropped pretty low over the last few days.  It could be from all of the Benadryl or maybe one of the other meds.  I was just thinking that maybe my inner Olympic athlete was shining thru, but the med team doesn't seem to agree.  So they are keeping an eye on that.  I have started exercising on my bike again and trying to do some gentle strength and stretching moves.  That is really supposed to help with recovery.  Of course, I do still get my fair share of naps. 

George will be leaving on Saturday.  It will be sad to see him go but I know Davina and the kids will be so glad to have him home.  A month is a long time to be gone and we all truly appreciate the gifts of time, love, and stem cells that have been given.  Most of you may have seen it on Facebook, but I got us a pair of matching hats for our Donor/Survivor status.  Thank you George, and safe travels!!  I look forward to seeing you one last time tomorrow before you leave.

4 comments:

Davina Park said...

There are going to be years of visits with George ahead Rach! For a while you're going to have to rely on Skype, FaceTime, Facebook and email to connect with George, but I reckon we'll be planning another family trip to visit y'all (did you like that use of y'all?? did I use it appropriately? in context ? ;-) and will be back in Virginia before you know it.

But, I gotta say, this whole single-parent thing is TOUGH, and I'm happy for George to be winging his way home so we can share the load :-) I take my hat off to all the single parents out there who do it full time - BIG RESPECT (really, a month is nothing if you look at the big picture! I'm a wimp!).

Keep napping, doing some gentle excise, and growing the good stuff, and you'll be diving on the beach volleyball court before you know it!

Big hug,
Div xxx (The sister in law :-) )

Mom said...

Words cannot express my appreciation for the wonderful way George Allen's family has risen to the occasion. Ruth has been filling in some important gaps and John is close at heart though a fer piece away. George and I are very thankful for our children and the way they have come together in love through this journey. Mother

Gathering Me said...

There are so many things I admire about how you are walking through this. What struck me today was your willingness to still exercise in the midst of it all. I would totally be using it all as an excuse to stay in bed and sleep.
Praying for you.
Julie

George said...

Well, I'm at the Norfolk airport now and my big adventure is coming to a close. It's been a real roller coaster- I have felt like the "Hero" that Rachel put on my hat; a random walking bag of useful genetic material; Mr Mom; Big brother; Little son; in the thick of it; out of the action and like a chew toy in a pen full of puppies. But most of all I have felt amazement and gratitude at the daily displays of strength, love and kindness from each of you.
Rachel, you and Brant and your family are the true heroes of this adventure and I'm so impressed at how you take on this challenge.

All of us kids have been challenged at times in our lives - some loud and obvious, some quiet and desperate. I'm grateful that I have been able to help a little this time for you. It is the best feeling in the world to know that we are in a family that does that extra bit for each other.

Love, George A.