Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day +14 - Discharged!!

I was released from the hospital today just on schedule (I will drop the date count from my titles now, I'm sure it is getting a tad old.) My platelet counts held and so my catheter was removed this morning before I left. It wasn't too bad of an experience, much easier than when my mediport was removed. We packed up all of my stuff and taxi'd over to the apartment. We are so grateful to be able to use it again for a little bit. It is so comfortable and homey after being in that hospital room for 3 weeks!!!

I have some pretty strict restrictions for the next three months - like no restaurants/deli/take-out, crowded places, or being around anyone sick. Also, it sounds like gardening is out for this season as well - I guess the soil will have time to rest, ha! Although I have heard that Dr. Moskowitz is pretty lenient and relaxes the restrictions sooner than most docs, Brant and I feel it will be better to be safe and conservative. So no Mother's Day brunch in NY for me.......or my Dunkin' Donuts Iced Coffee that I had been dreaming about. It is all Chef Brant around here.

We took our first walk to Central Park today (only two blocks away). The weather is gorgeous and we just sat on a bench and people watched. A lady sat down next to us with an Australian Shepherd who barked at racing children and then sat and rested just like Augie....very cute. There were still a few tulips left and they were huge - wish I had taken my camera.

Well, the next few days will be nerve-wracking being out of my safe cocoon and hoping not to catch anything, I see the Dr. on Tuesday to check my progress. I have no idea if I will leave after that or if I need one more week to make sure my system is stable. We will just take each day as it comes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well well a walk in the park. You have come a long way. Our prayers change with your condition. Now they center on your coming home and then the next level will be no more cancer. Love you dad

Anonymous said...

Well girl you've come along way baby! Hi Brandt! We love you both enjoy your time together. Hang in there as always. Here comes some more prayers!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Brant -

I am so thrilled that you guys are doing so well and are back together again. I can just picture that walk in the park now and it brings tears of joy to my eyes! I know that the view is so much better than the inside of the hospital. Like others have said, now the prayers will be for no sickness to hinder your great progress, patience to wait until the safe time to come home, a short time until you can have the Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and that the time pass by quickly until we get that "All Clear" result. I was so excited to share your progress at our Praise Team prayer time last night. You have a whole PHCC contingent that is praying for you and is thrilled at the result. I have directed so many people to your blog and all of them are so inspired. I am so proud of you!!!!! You are a true example of faith in action. No just saying "That's hard" (Hee! Hee!) for you. Take that one day at a time and know that we are here to help with whatever you need us to do. We love you!!!!

The Cunninghams