Thursday, May 3, 2007

Day +7 and I had a good day...

We have been here two weeks now! Wow! And it was nice to have a day that I felt good for most of the day.

But yesterday was ROUGH and it seemed like I was in bed most of the day dealing with the fever or else the new anti-fungal treatment I started. The medicine causes severe shakes like a spiking fever so they give you demerol to control that side effect. I took it again today with much better results, and maybe by tomorrow I will be able to take it with no issues at all. This is another precautionary treatment since they haven't found the source of my fevers. But my spikes seem to be getting lower and I am resting thru the night.

Yesterday was also rough because Brant had to put to sleep our family dog, Augie. He had been sick for over two months now but we have not been able to tell why. At the visit yesterday, he had lost so much more weight and the vet found a pretty substantial mass in his abdomen which was consistent with cancer and probably causing his blockages. He was almost 13 yrs old and we just didn't feel we could go thru the surgery and uncertainties at this time, so we let him go peacefully. He will be greatly missed, especially by the kids who are already missing their normal life. Brant said they all had a good cry together last night and both the kids already told me about pictures Grammy had taken that they wanted to hang on the wall, so hopefully they are dealing well.

I am so grateful for the pleasant day I had today and realize that several of you had written to say you were specifically praying for me today. Thanks! Maybe I will have two in a row!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

Its good to hear you had a relatively good day. My heart goes out to your family in the loss of you family dog. 13 years is a great life for a pet, yet compounds the pain of your loss.

I want you to know that you're in our thoughts and we continue to pray for you. Keep up the courage! I am so proud of you.

Steve Sterling
Assistant Chief of Police
Portsmouth Police Department

Anonymous said...

I liked Augie. This news is very sad news. I just said a prayer for Augie, the kids, Brandt and you. I am so sorry. Hang in there. I hope you know that we are thinking about you and trying to figure out anything, anything else we can do. The days have got to get better and better very soon.

Stacy J said...

Hey, Rachel!

Hooray...it was a good day much deserved!

Oh no, I'm SO sorry for your family dog. I pray for comfort for you and the fam. I can imagine that that was a VERY difficult decision. May you all still carry on with many loving memories.

You're doing good, Rachel. Just keep on going, O.K. I'll continue to check the blog off and on because I want to continue to keep you lifted up in prayer. May there be more good days ahead.

Please take care!

Love, Stacy

Anonymous said...

Augie doggie was really special. I think you made the right decision because he was so sick. Did you have a great day yesterday? I was praying for you too. I have been taking the "moment of silence" at school to pray for you. Enjoy Brant's visit. Love you! Come home soon!

Ruth