Saturday, May 5, 2007

Day +9

Oh so close to double digits! I am continuing to have longer good spells and shorter bad periods. I have basically been without a fever since about Thursday afternoon. Yesterday I was a little down but I needed a blood transfusion and also I tried to put something other than Gatorade in my stomach which didn't work too well.

I continue to get platelets twice a day which is frustrating. My numbers are hovering around 6000 - 8000, very low!! Today's platelets are "HLA matched" so we will see if they "stick" any better. So far, I have only had one transfusion of about sixteen that has made my platelet count jump significantly. I haven't had bleeding problems, so it will probably just be a waiting game again until I can make my own.

Today I have managed some pudding and 1/2 of those energy drinks. As soon as I get white blood cells and my digestive tract is repaired, I want to be ready to eat and drink so I can get outta here quickly.

Speaking of white blood cells - they were 0.2 last night and again this morning (instead of the usual 0.0 or 0.1). I realize that isn't much and that the numbers will fluctuate, but at least it is a sign of some movement in the upward direction.

My private duty nurse (Mom) has been doing great. She attended a class on light touch massage and I must say my feet smell and feel terrific each morning. She also reminds me to do the exercise pedals, the mouth washes, and my incentive spirometer (works your lungs). Today I got an admiring "model patient" comment from one of the nurses because Mom keeps me in line doing all of the dreaded tasks we are told to do.

Thanks for the outpouring of love for poor little Augie. I look forward to being home May 31st to "celebrate" his birthday with the kids one last time. According to Brant, they seem to be handling it very well. I can't wait to see Brant next Tuesday. I can't believe the time has flown by, really! It seemed like I would never make it to this point. But just like he said, one little step at a time and we will get there.

4 comments:

John Brisbin said...

Hey there Sis,

Sounds like you're chugging along like the champion you are.

Just got to a computer and have checked up on all the posts since Day 0...what a little adventure you've had! Not many fellow travelers into the spaces of your own anxieties and pains, but goodness me, look at all the love and praying hands you've had to comfort your every step...you're a much loved person, dear sister!

We've had a long and fortunate trip across the outback: the old truck just barely limped in to Byron tonight and we're down for our first sleep in an actual bed in 8 days...

Many hugs and a warm wombat to you and Mom...

xoxoxo

JB

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness some relief. I hope you are enjoying the foot rubs. It's amazing what they can do!
Thank for being such a great mom and such a great cousin! I am amszingly proud of you both.

Anonymous said...

Now that it looks like your stem cells are doing their thing, could you maybe use my platlets? If they match well I would be glad to donate some more... hoping to be helpful, your sis.

Stacy J said...

Hey there, Rachel.

Your experiences remind me so much of my mom's experiences back in 1998. My mom's back up and running again, as you will be. I remember that I was the one offering the foot massages to mom and that she said it helped SO much. Lois is a sweetie and a great mom. I'm SO glad that you're doing better. Also, Brant's almost there, honey. Hang on in there...it'll be worth the wait! Well, take care and I'll be checking back.

Love, Stacy