Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day +5 Creeping Along

Today is Day +5 and the first day of a whole new month. From that standpoint I feel like I am accomplishing the march of time which is a big part of this battle. Otherwise the progress seems pretty slow.

I continue to spike fevers nightly, but fortunately so far all of the cultures and x-rays keep coming back negative and the fever drops during the day. My esophageal pain is excruciating and really impacts all that I do. Today the team jacked up my morphine and put me on a high end version of Mylanta that should help along with the double doses of Nexium that I receive.

All of the pain and wanting to just be done with this really got to me and so Mom and I had a rather emotional morning/day. It helped to get those tears out and have a pity party while still being able to see some positives that are going on. And as proof that God never gives us more than we can handle at one time, while we were feeling pretty low, the Integrated Medicine lady called and asked if I would like a foot massage. While I was enjoying that Mom opened an email from Leigh Ann that had this cute picture in it:

So we continue chugging along. The team is doing all they can to address my concerns, but it is mostly just palliative trying to get to the point of having white blood cells again. On the bright side, I started my Neupogen shots today that will encourage those white blood cells to be made. Other good news is that last night's platelets worked well in my system and I made it up over 29,ooo - so no transfusion today. Maybe they could hunt that donor down and beg him/her to give a steady stream for a few more days???

Thanks so much for the great comments and emails. Even though I haven't been responding as much on the computer. I do enjoy everything we get. You all have asked if we need anything sent up here, but I think we are doing fine. Your prayers are most appreciated.

As for back at home, Brant is back in full swing with baseball. I hope I will make it home for the end of the kids' season and see a few games. Brant continues to get a nice supply of meals from friends here and there and his mom is over often to cook and clean. Thank you for all of the love and support!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I have tears in my eyes everytime I read your blog. I am so impressed with how strong you have been through all of this. It really shows that all things are possible with God. I am so glad that your Mother has been able to help you during this rough time and I am glad that Brant will be able to come up soon. He really seems to be keeping things together here at home. I know you miss everyone but please stay positive and know that all of this will be over soon and you will be a NEW WOMAN!!!! Thanks for taking time to update us on all of your progress. I gave my Mom the address and she has been going in and reading it as well. You are a true inspiration. Take care of yourself and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Rachel, we hope and Pray that you will finish your treatments soon, and you can return home. Trust in the Lord,He will get you through this! Ron

Anonymous said...

From Mary Lawrence:
Dear Rachel, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I had a dream (or not??)I was talking to God on Friday night about your illness and I woke knowing he had heard me. All things are possible! I love you and your family. Mary